Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reflection

I was so upset to see that my blog was deleted. It carried my month long roller coaster of emotions and experiences that occurred in Prague. I Blogged instead of writing in my journal so I had no other detailed account of it except for my memories. I am glad after appealing with blogger that they restored it. Even though I am no longer in Prague I would like to post my ideas and thoughts on various things. I might even give some previews of some writing pieces to get feedback on. So, if you're still up for it I would love for you to continue to follow me.

I've been home awhile now and have had time to really reflect on my experiences with travel, friends and being in Prague. I hadn't traveled internationally in quite a few years. It was more difficult than I had remembered. Traveling by myself was okay--I could do it, but it would have been more enjoyable with someone else. I never felt in danger or anything--the airline assistants were more than helpful. Sitting on the plane without being able to get up was killer. Gone are the days when I could wrangle a seat with an empty one next to it and stretch out my short body over the two seats and actually get some sleep. No, they pack the plane full. The fact that the airlines had a policy that would not allow for me to have my own chair during a long lay-over was distressing. I hadn't encountered this before and was willing to fight to have this right.

On this adventure I made some memorable friends. They were there for me when I shared my frustrations with the accessibility issues in Prague. We hung out and really got to know one another in a fairly short amount of time. My friend Kate was there to encourage (and help) me write and submit an op/ed to the Prague Post sharing my frustrations with the lack of accessibility in Prague. The friends I met who were from Prague (Erik, Radek, Jakub, Tomas) were a blessing. Before, I had such a deep sorrow for the disabled people of Prague and their situation. After I met them I saw that there were people who care. They were trying to do something about the accessibility of their city. I was honored to be able to try and help them in any way I could. Being asked to be in their documentary was so ironic. Our paths just happened to cross on that day--at that certain time. It was like it was meant to be.

Now that I'm home I have to deal with the "aftermath" of my adventure. While jumping down curbs and off trams, pushing over cobblestones I developed a pressure sore. It didn't get better as I stayed there. It was impossible to stay off of it all of the time while I was there and I lacked the will power to do it. I made the best of it--still participating in school and the other activities as I could and resting more than I wanted to. I have been to the doctor and luckily I haven't developed an infection. I am giving a shot to trying to heal it but my patience with that has its limits. It's hard to lay down a month and then find out it won't heal--to me that's time wasted. I will make a decision soon about surgery. The doctor said it wouldn't be as involved as the ones I've had in the past and the recovery would be shorter. (It has usually been at least a two month ordeal) School starts in nine days and that weighs heavily on my mind also. The beginning of the year is such an important bonding time with your class--and it hurts me to think I am most likely to miss that. I guess I will find out in the next week or so what my path will be.

In looking back on my choices--I'm not sure I can say it was worth it. I enjoyed the writing classes and I hope it will improve my writing but the fact that my life and livelihood are in jeopardy makes me think twice. There are a lot of "ifs" that I think about. What if I had only stayed the two week session? What if I had used my more protective cushion? What if I had never gone to Prague in the first place? These questions circle my mind--but you can't change the past. I look toward the future. It's difficult when it's clouded with such worry. I am a strong person--that's why I was able to get through what I did. I know I will be able to get through this also.

I guess I'm now onto my next "adventure." I'm afraid my views and sights will not be grand--but my frustrations and concerns will be.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see your blog is back up! It's valuable to everyone! Best of luck with the sore. Your experience is frustrating in that it points out that more could be done in every area from law and policy to technology. Even as a long-haul truck driver who has had to sit for long long days, we had options for technology from seats with elaborate suspensions (springs) and slides with shock absorbers, and specialized seat cushions from gel-filled to hard shelled and shaped (these were actually amazingly comfortable like a helmet for your derriere) to some allowing air to flow through. While I see wheelchairs have great innovations, I also think they are primitive in many aspects, although I don't know that much about them. Anyway, I hope there is more and faster innovation in ideas an every area! I hope you make as quick a recovery as possible and I'm glad to see your writing is back online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stan. My appeal worked. It's so scary to think it can just be taken off without any kind of notice. I agree that there should be more innovation in wheelchair seating. Also, the ways that the pressures sores are treated should be better than it was 15 or 20 years ago--but it isn't. That's what's so hard about it.

    ReplyDelete