Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Home Sweet Home

My trip home was a marathon. After packing late on Friday night after our closing party, I was ready to go by 9:00 to be picked up by Petr. He was going to take me on the bus to the airport. My flight wasn't until 12:15 so you'd think that would be plenty of time. I didn't see Petr and it was 9:10--so somehow I schlepped my bags down to the lobby. (one is a really heavy thing with wheels, and no easy feat to move) I was bound and determined to get home if I had to get to the airport myself. I saw Petr in the lobby--he thought I was on the 3rd floor and I'm on the 4th. So I checked out and we walked the few blocks to the bus stop for the airport. Prague's last slap in the face (or so I thought it was) was that we had to wait another 20 minutes for an accessible bus to take. When it arrived it was so jam packed with people and their luggage, I didn't think I would be able to get on. I forced myself on.

It was about a 20 minute ride to the airport. Petr said that was plenty of time, not to worry. When we got to British Airways my jaw dropped when I saw the long line of people waiting to get checked in for the flight. We found the end and waited....and waited. It took about 25 minutes to get to the check in. Once there I asked for a gate tag (a tag that tells people to bring the chair up to the the cabin and not to baggage so it can be used when you have a lay-over) for my wheelchair. I was told that it wasn't the policy of BA to allow this. I would have to use their chairs (which has small wheels and needs to be pushed by someone) for my two and a half hour lay-over I had in London. I was less that pleased with this--okay, I got mad and started asking why. I decided that I would just ask again at the gate to see if it was possible. Once I said good bye to Petr and headed to the gate I was astounded by another huge line waiting to get through security. I jumped in line there and it took another 25 or 30 minutes there. I barely had 5 or 10 minutes before they were going to start to board me. The crew did say they would try and take my chair on board but since it didn't fold up, they weren't sure. I showed them how the wheels popped off easily. I was happy that at the end of my two hour flight from Prague to London I did have my chair to use.

I got to move around freely--but didn't really seem to have too much time there before I had to board the plane for Denver. I again had to fight to get my chair at the gate instead of having it sent to baggage claim. I really think I need to write to British airways and get them to change their policy. They need to know that denying a wheelchair user their chair is akin to denying someone their legs. Why should we have to sit in a small room waiting hours and hours--relying on them to take you to the bathroom or anywhere? I guess they don't see the indignity in that. The crew, again was very gracious about trying to get the chair put on board. The flight seemed to take forever! Almost twelve hours of sitting and not moving about is pretty excruciating. I did get the bulkhead seat so it didn't feel as claustrophobic as my flight there did. When we finally touched down in Denver, I was so happy. I think I felt the same relief and happiness when returning home from Switzerland after 911 happened. I wanted to kiss the ground.

When I headed to customs I saw a long line of people waiting--but being back in America, there was a special line for the disabled and I got to go to the front and get checked right away. (what a country!) So I grabbed my luggage and headed out to wait for Ken to pick me up. I was so happy to see him--I'd really missed him and our dogs. My dogs practically knocked me out of my chair when I got home. Ken had the house all decorated with welcome home signs and balloons. I felt very welcomed!! He also had a special menu made out for me and other special touches to show me how much he had missed me.

As Ken drove us home I looked at my state with new eyes. I saw the curb cuts, and ramps and the smooth roads. I am so grateful to live in a country where it is so accessible. I will never take that for granted ever again. Czech-ing out. Cau.

No comments:

Post a Comment