Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Heading for Home

I spent my last day here in Prague in a wonderful place. A place that gave me hope for the disabled of Prague. Erik (the guy Kate and I met yesterday) met us at the University and took us to Vysehrad. There we went to a facility that was remodeled and very accessible. It was a school for the disabled. It had a living area for people who were attending the school. Of course, they are on break so I didn't get to see any kids, but I met some very involved and very caring people who worked there. There was a program there Asistence, that helps people get jobs and personal assistants to help them.

We met the director of the documentary, Tomas Skrdlant. He set up his camera for the interview that he had asked us to be a part of in a pretty park right by the school. He had a very gentle manner and was so easy to talk to. We spent over an hour talking and filming the interviews. He even interviewed Kate. Then we saw the school together and the we all sat down and had coffee. During the interview I met another guy named Jakub, who has cerebral Palsey that also works for this program. We talked quite awhile about our experiences. This is what I had been longing for. I had really wanted to connect with the disabled world here in Prague and now--when my time is over, I meet these interesting people. We lingered with our conversations not really wanting it to end. I learned a lot on this excursion. I learned that there is a group of people who are trying to change things. Things are going slow--but they are hoping for faster progress. By making this documentary about the accessibility of Prague, they hope to persuade the elected officials of the city to take notice. I'm just a stranger in a strange land--and didn't really know what I was "stumbling" into when I came here. When I saw the lack of accessibility and barriers everywhere, I felt a strong urge to want to help. I had no idea that I would be able to. I did write my editorial for the Prague Post (an english newspaper published weekly here in Prague) and hope to send it in. It will be a great honor for me if I do indeed help them make a difference.

After spending the time at the school Erik took Kate and I around the area. It was the sight for the oldest castle in Prague. (but the castle is no longer there) It had a beautiful park that had some nice vistas of the city. We spent time meandering around just enjoying the greenery. I've really missed the nature of Colorado. It's hard to see any grass or trees in Prague unless you happen across some nooks--and there might be a lovely little park right in the city. This park was huge. There was also an old church that was beautiful. We went into the cemetery there and I was astonished at the gravestones there. It was so unique. I got to see the grave sight of the composer Dvorak. I was told all the important people of Prague are buried there. I would have loved to spend more time there and really see it but our time was limited. We had to get back for our closing party.

We were a little late in getting to the party because we had to wait for an accessible bus to get us to where the party was. I hadn't eaten since breakfast so I was hungry. I couldn't resist heading to McDonald's that was across from the bus stop. We had over 30 minutes to wait--so in we went. I was so amused by the "McWalk" window they had on the outside. There were no drive thru's. This window (which looked a little like a drive thru--but no speakers) you just walked up to and ordered your food and got it outside of the restaurant. I got a photo of it and will post it on FB later. Erik said that McDonalds always had accessible restaurants and bathrooms. He said that they often hired disabled people to work there also. (way to go Micky D's)

We did finally make it to the party and got to visit with all of our new old friends. Everyone wanted to hear about the interview and how it went. I am going to be sad to be leaving the people I have met. Hana, the in country coordinator has worked so hard to get me here and help me when the times were tough. My workshop group is a close group and I hope to keep in contact with many of them. With my new friends at Asistence I hope to keep in touch with as I find out when the documentary will be aired and if there is anything more I can do to help.

It's been an adventure. Maybe not what I had expected--but still full of challenges, fun and meeting new people. I'm not sure that I will be returning to Prague anytime soon. Perhaps when that "revolution" for the disabled occurs I will come back to celebrate it with them. Prague sort of made up its indifference to me today but putting those new people in my life. I guess I can forgive--but I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment