Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

No Butts about it!!

Well, it seems that this Prague terrain has taken its toll on my buttocks. I'm laying low today as to give it a rest--and hope it recuperates. It's so hard to lay around in my dorm when there's so much of Prague I've yet to see--but I've got to take care of my Butt!! I slept in late today and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Then I did some laundry. I had more trouble just trying to find the laundry room here. I had to sign up for the use--give them my ID, then I got a key. You get one hour for 20 crowns--you don't pay by the load--but by the time spent in there. So the girl gives me the key--and really no directions other than it's on the 5th floor. I quickly gather up my clothes and my laundry detergent and head up to the 5th floor. I go around this maze of halls frantically looking for J594. All the dorm rooms are H and a number. I happen to be in a dorm that part of it is a hotel too. After about 10 or 15 minutes of looking, I go back down to the desk and tell her that I can't find it. (meanwhile--25 minutes of my time has been wasted!!) She showed me on a map and I did finally find it. I opened the door and there sat this rather tiny front load washer. (no dryer). In this fairly long and skinny room are lots of wires where people are allowed to hang their laundry to dry. There was already lots of laundry hanging on the wires--but they were too high for me to reach anyway. So I stashed my laundry in the machine and tried to figure out how to use it. There were directions all the wall in about 6 different languages--but I got it without. It took about 50 minutes or so for the load to finish. I had to take out the wet clothes and sort of fold them to carry back to my room. I wanted to hurry because I had gone over the alloted hour so I would have to pay more. I had to pay 40 crowns--which is about $2....so, not too bad for one load of laundry. I had to figure out places to hang the stuff to dry--but it worked out and now I have clean laundry.

After more laying around and writing and doing some homework I decided that I would attempt to go the the department store My. I checked the bus schedule and found a decent time for the bus and tram. It was another scorcher today--but I wasn't out in it. I went at about 5:00--so I could be out when it was cooler. I caught the bus as planned and the tram driver was a lady--and a nice one. She didn't have an attitude at all. I got dropped off right across the street from the store. I went inside and was hit by the most wonderful air conditioning. No place here has air conditioning--it's just hot, and you sweat. (kinda like when Roseanna-Roseanna-Danna said you got a big old sweat ball hanging off your nose! yuck!) It reminded me of a high end store like Neiman Marcus. It had 4 floors and I explored each one. The clothes were expensive as were lots of the other stuff. My guess is that mostly foreigners shop there. I was in search of a coffee pot or something to boil water in. I found these handy little water pots that you plug in and they will boil water. I found the cheapest one I could since I won't be taking it back. (it's got the european plug on it) They also had a smoothie bar in the store. I was so hot I decided to get one--it was a mixture of fruits. When she brought it to me she also handed me a cup of ice and said she didn't know if I wanted it. Well, the smoothie had no ice in it. It was warm--who makes a smoothie that's warm? So I put my ice in the drink so I could enjoy it. It was tasty.

I also had to get some school supplies. I was told to limit what I bring here, and now I need stuff. I think I spent about $30 at the store. I used my Iphone's calculator to figure out the price of things. It's pretty handy.

After shopping I had planned on going somewhere for dinner. I wasn't with anyone--and didn't feel like a long trip around looking for a place to eat so I went to Subway. (it was across from the store) Yes, that's right--I'm in Prague and I chose to eat at a subway.(they even had a meal deal--but didn't call it that : ) I ate my wrap sandwich (they are big on sandwiches here ) and then headed back for the tram. I actually got to my first stop without much of a wait--and it was the same tram driver I had on the way there. I did have a half an hour wait to catch the bus--but at least I didn't melt and have to put out a fire on my handrims. Once home, I took out my new water pot to wash it and figure out where I would plug it in--wouldn't you know, there's really no outlets in the kitchen. The only one there has the hot plate and the little fridge plugged into it. I guess I'll have to use my one and only outlet that I use for my computer, my hairdryer and now the water pot.

Such is the daily life of a Praguer.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sherry! One thing I can relate to here is the lack of outlets just like the old house I'm in now. If it weren't for surge protectors, I wouldn't be able to plug in my computer, radio, phone charger, etc. I guess that years ago they didn't think we'd need so many outlets.

    ReplyDelete