Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Czech-ing my anger

Well, I did make it to class today without much of a catastrophe. I was so worried about getting on the wrong tram or bus. I took alittle cheat sheet that had the name of the stop so I could make sure the bus was going there and it worked!! I felt so proud that I rode their public transportation! all by myself. ( I don't even do that at home!)

The workshop group was great. We have all women in our group and there's lots of estrogen flowing--we'll all probably be on the same cycle in no time! (except for a few of us who may no longer cycle : ) Alison our instructor is very insightful. She's an instructor of writing at the University of Arizona. She's taught here many times before. We take turns reading our piece that we have written and listen to the perspectives of the others. I think it will be very useful when it is my turn. It's useful when it's other people also because you learn from their writing--what you can do on your own. I think we have a great group of women--very diverse.

When I was done with my workshop class I decided to go explore "old town" by myself. It was in the area of the university. So off I trudged and bumped. I thought those little cobblestones were a pain--when I got to the big brick type ones--look out!! It felt like I was rolling over bowling balls!! It was truly a challenge but worth it as I got some great photos of some of the neat old churches and buildings. I bought a book so I can see what they were. I didn't go on a tour yet--wait, I did sort of. I saw the Story of Chocolate so being a chocolate lover that I am--I went in. It showed how it was gathered as beans, and processed and became the deliciousness that it is. We got to see a live demonstration of a young guy making these chocolates that had fillings in them. We got to partake after the demo and they were yummy! I had to go through their candy store to buy a small bag to enjoy later. As I was teeter-tottering through Old Town--I got alittle lost. I didn't see my landmarks that I would use to get back (think of it as my bread crumbs!). But while lost I came upon something I may go back and check out. It was the Museum of Midieval Torture. I know it sounds pretty morbid--but I must say, I'm intrigued. I'm sure my husband would want to be go in and report to him about it. I'm not even sure it's accessible.

I did get pointed in the right direction by a friendly young gal. Many of the Czech people do speak some english which is nice.
I wanted to head back to my dorm so I went to the Tram. My friend Kate saw me and got off the tram she was on and waited with me. There were very few accessible trams running due to their holidays so it's important to get on the accessible tram or bus when it comes. So, Tram 20 comes up--it has that little handicapped symbol on the front which means there's a little ramp at the middle car that the driver (when signaled by you) comes out of the car and drops the ramp down for you to get up and onto the tram. (this is where the anger part comes in) Well I waved to the driver but he comes out yelling "No assist, No assist" and he wouldn't put the ramp down for me. (that bastard!) Luckily Kate and a young guy said he'd help me on which is like a curb jump to get on but it's about 5 inches from the curb--so very tricky to do. They got me on but was I ever boiling mad. This is my first experience with a rude driver. I wanted to get his name--but he didn't have a name tag on. (no wonder!)
Kate went up to him and asked for the key to get the ramp down when we got to the stop--and he actually put the ramp down. He was muttering something under his breath--probably some czech swear words. I wanted to say a few english ones to him but I didn't. That was the last tram out of that area--I don't know what I would have done if Kate hadn't been there to help. This kind of tarnished my good impression of the Czech people who have been so hospitable and friendly--but I know there are jerks in every country. I just happened to try to get on a tram with one.

As I eat my dark chocolate--I'm settling down and feeling better. I looking forward to tomorrow. We have a lecture and then will then go to a reading from a czech author. I also start my Czech survival language class tomorrow. (I may have to ask how to say a few Czech swear words in case I run into that guy again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interesting post, Sherry! I wonder if it would have done any good to ask the rude driver if there was something wrong? It might have made him think about what he was doing or he could explain himself. Hard to say. It sounds like you got to see and enjoy part of the city! Hope you have a good cushion to sit on, since those chairs don't seem to have any springs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have talked to him had I spoken czech. He was just a grouchy old man I think. I am grateful for my cushion--I'm doing a lot of pushing around on cobblestones!

    ReplyDelete