Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trams, buses and cobblestones

Today I learned about getting around Prague. It isn't easy. The many sized cobblestones make my every move an obstacle course. They are pretty to look at but not fun to roll on. I was so careful as I was crossing over the tram tracks so I wouldn't take a digger right in the middle of a Prague road. (that might have made me a Prague speed bump!).

We had our orientation today so I had to get to the university (the class is at Charles University). Luckily, Hana--our In country coordinator was so kind as to pick me up and take me along the route that will be taking. It was so confusing--and overwhelming! And to top it all off--they speak Czech!! I am going to take a crash course on speaking survival Czech--but that's not going to help me tomorrow when I head off to class.

The staff here are great--I hope to learn a lot about writing, but don't expect to see it here on this blog. I'm just doing the ugly reality--no sugar coating my adventures. After the orientation I needed to go back to my dorm--and it took an hour and a half just to get back! Not all trams and buses are equipped to take wheelchairs so we had to wait....and wait....and wait. I was so exhaused after that--but then I had to hurry up and change clothes and go on to a party. The party was at a Czech Mexican restaurant!! There wasn't a burrito or a taco in sight--but I did have some spicy tortilla type chips. Oh yeah, and the beer was good.

I got on the wrong bus on the way home--but figured it out. I had a friend with me to help. I guess I'd better get to bed. I have a feeling that I will have those "teacher nightmares" I get right before school starts--but this time I am the student and I will be lost trying to get to my class. Let's hope that doesn't happen. If you don't hear from me for a few days--you will know that I got lost and I'm desperately trying to find my way back to the dorm. Wish me luck--I have a feeling I'll need it!

1 comment: