Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Back Up and Running!

Well, thanks to the kindness of Matous, one of the student assistants in the program--I got my tire fixed. It was so depressing to think that I might have had to try and push around on those cobblestones with a flat tire--thank God I didn't. I can't believe it's Friday already--my time here is just zipping by. I've been here two weeks. I don't feel like I've really gotten any great sight seeing in (no set tours or anything). I'm hoping to get to the Prague Castle again tomorrow and spend many hours there. It's one of the few places that is totally accessible so I need to take advantage.

Speaking of sight seeing, My workshop group went out to lunch at this nice vegetarian restaurant as a nice farewell to our instructor and a few students are also departing. The restaurant was kind of like a buffet style and you choose things you want (most aren't identified in english) and then you pay for the weight of the food. It can be a crap shoot on what you get--but the vegetables are pretty easy to distinguish. After our delicious healthy meals several of us decided we needed some gelato for dessert. (I love gelato!) So, we headed to the center of Old Town Square. As we were eating our gelato (by the way--they give such a tiny little scoop, most Americans need two or more to equal on "american scoop") We were standing by the gelato stand which was a busy place--it was near the astronomical clock which is always very crowded. We all have been warned and warned about these pickpockets that work the tourist areas. They are indian looking people (by that I mean from India) who work together in pairs or more and usually bump into someone and causes a distraction while the other steals the wallet or purse. They call them gypsies (and they say that that's a derogatory term). We saw them in action--but a young guy, who was obviously not a tourist was knowledgeable of their schemes--ran up to the lady who was ready to make her mark and warned her off. I don't know what he said because it was in Czech but it didn't sound too nice. I think the lady (the potential victim) was very lucky and she didn't even know that she was in danger of losing her valuables.

As we were walking back toward the University--one of the gals spotted an interesting museum that all four of us wanted to investigate. It is called the "sex machines museum." Who wouldn't want to check out what that was about? We went in and there weren't tons of steps to get in so it looked promising. But I soon found out that it was on three floors, there was an elevator but it didn't actually stop anywhere but the owner's apartment at the top. So, I bid farewell to my friends to go in and explore--with the promise of a full report of what they saw. I'm pretty much used to not being able to check out things I'm interested in--but it gets old. There is also a museum of communism that isn't accessible either along with many others.

Today in our workshop we focused on my piece of writing. I was a bit apprehensive about it. You read aloud a part of your essay. Then the group discusses their thoughts and questions about it. (while the discussion is happening you are only able to listen--but not talk or respond to anything--that's the hard part!) Then you can ask questions you have or respond to some of their responses. It was quite helpful. My piece was on the fact that I was born with my disability and didn't have a story about how I was hurt. I see I still have work to do on it to revise it and to change it--but it was very helpful. I've done some insightful writing about how disabled I feel here and how thankful I am to live in America. The Czech disabled people don't seem to have the rights that I take for granted. Just using public transportation has been a big eye-opener. I am constantly at the mercy of the schedule and of the drivers. Today the tram was 10 minutes late--which is unheard of. It was the accessible one that I need to get to my next connection.(there is usually only one--two if I'm lucky each hour) Since that one was late, I missed my bus connection by a few minutes--was I ever pissed. I had to wait almost an hour for the next one. It's at this real desolate stop that doesn't have anything that you can do. It was another 95+ degree day--and I was not a happy camper. The sweltering heat here has been difficult. Very few places are air conditioned. I'm so thankful I bought a fan for my dorm or I wouldn't get any sleep.

I'm getting a little hungry so I may head to my chinese/gyro restaurant down the street for a bite. There's not too many restaurants or pubs that are accessible in this neighborhood, that's why I usually eat when I'm near the university. Hopefully I'll have some interesting facts about the Castle tomorrow.

Cau

3 comments:

  1. Sherry, I hope you are compiling tons of info to write the book Accessible Chech! I have always heard such great things about Prague, but worry about going to the "old world" and getting around. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me--there couldn't be a book "Accessible Prague". It is such an old place with lots of history that very little is accessible to a wheelchair user. I'm still enjoying my stay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! Hmmm. A Chinese/Gyro restaurant?

    ReplyDelete