Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Ready to Go Home

I haven't blogged for awhile now. I haven't found the joy in this country that I'm in lately. I was distraught when I found out that the much needed cushion that my husband sent from home was being held by customs. I couldn't believe that they would do that over a used cushion. My butt isn't doing well with this maddening terrain and was in great need of it. Add on the fact that the hot water has been turned off in this area where I live--for almost a week now--and you get me wanting to hop on a flight right now--and go home.

It just seems like everything is spiraling down. I seem to be in a free fall of negativity and am not sure how to get out of it. I did talk to Hana our in country coordinator about the cushion--she talked to customs and I did get it the next day. But I'm afraid it's a little bit too late--the damage is done. The hot water situation is crazy! I guess this time every year different parts of the city lose hot water for a week while they check the pipes. They do have a special shower room here at the dorm that does have some hot water--but you guessed it. It's not accessible to me. (what's new?) I've been taking sponge baths and washing my hair in cold water.

After having a melt down at the atrocities I am facing I looked at a flight to go home early. Much to my dismay, the "cheap-o" flight that I took wouldn't allow it. The price of a one way ticket home, of course, was as expensive as my round trip here. So here I must stay. I also found out while here that someone had gotten my credit card number and was trying to charge something over a thousand dollars!! Luckily the fraud department was on it--but I had to cancel my credit card right there on the spot--the one I brought to use here. I can still use my debit card, so I can still eat.

Then on Friday as I was finished with my class at the university, I was making my way down this funky tiny elevator that I have to use to get out of the building--and it wouldn't work. Luckily I didn't get stuck in it--but they couldn't get it working so I had to be hoisted down about 8 steps by a young lady and and old man to get out ! See!! Doesn't that just scream GET HOME NOW??

After that ordeal I went to Old Town to try and get something to eat. I went into one of the accessible restaurants (there aren't that many) and ordered a hamburger. I've been jonesing for one--haven't had one for almost a month. When she brought it--it looked strange. It had a bun, some lettuce and tomatoes--but it didn't look like the "ground beef" that was promised on the menu. I took one bite, mostly bun. The second bite--and tasted the meat. GROSS!! It was a Spamburger, not a hamburger!! I didn't eat anymore. The waitress wasn't friendly anyway so I finished my beer (that was good) and asked to pay. I told her it wasn't good--it wasn't ground beef. She said it was a "czech hamburger". I just got out of there--but wasted $15 on a spamburger that I refused to eat. I ate at Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner tonight. It tasted sort of the same--but the chicken strips were soggy and not crispy. I guess I'll have to go to McDonald's here if I want a real hamburger with real ground beef.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I could sure use them.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you're having such a tough time - it seems like inconvenience piled on annoyance piled on irritation. I don't know what to tell you except that sometimes when you go to a foreign country everything is just so magnified, and then suddenly it's all right. I hope that happens for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Sherry! Hope things improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Knowing you...you have the strength and determination and faith to get through the inconviences your face.

    ReplyDelete