Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Visit to the Castle

I'm not able to blog as often as I once was able to. I have lots of homework to try and keep up with. It's hard to sit around and type when there's so much out here to explore. It's been so extremely hot that exploring in this heat isn't that fun. I'm learning to stay in the shade until the last minute to get to the bus stops. (or eat an ice cream cone while waiting!)

Boy, they sure do keep us busy here. My schedule goes something like this: On Monday, Wednesday and Friday we have a 3 hour workshop time where we listen to each other's pieces and give feed back to the writer. We are also given some writing assignment to do for homework. Then I have the rest of the day to explore--but if I goof around too much, I don't get home too early and have homework to do. On Tues, Thurs. we have these lectures to attend that have been very interesting. They have been given by Czech authors and professors who have a lot of knowledge to share with us about their experiences as writers. On Thurs. afternoons there are czech movies (with subtitles) for us to see. On those same evenings we have to attend readings from the various authors who are here teaching our classes. (playwrights, poets, fiction writers)--those too have been very good. On Friday evenings the students must share something from their own writings. I will have to do it too in a few weeks. It's not accessible for me down at the bottom of the theater. (I always sit in the balcony)--so I'm trying to play the 'gimp' card to try and get out of it.

I'm finding that the pieces that I have been writing are about my frustrations with getting around in this city. It seems to hit me in the face everywhere I go. To top this off I found a tack in my tire today when I got home, My tire is now flat--and it basically stranded me for the evening. (but at least I'm getting my homework done!!) I brought an extra tube but no pump--so someone is bringing me one tomorrow so I can fix it. It just seems like one thing after another!! This city is trying to take me down--but I won't go down without a fight.

Yesterday I ventured with a friend over to the Prague Castle. It's the oldest (and has to be the largest) castle in Prague. I didn't have a lot of time there since he had to head to the readings from there. It is definitely a place I want to return to. We did go through a cathedral named St. Vitus Cathedral. It was just breath-taking. I want to return and take the time to learn more about it. The stained glass windows, which are everywhere are what caught my eye first. The best thing about my visit to the castle was that I found out all of the buildings are accessible!! Yay! There are many more buildings that I want to explore. (it's even free for me!!)

Well, I do still have more homework to finish. I hope that I'm up back up and wheeling tomorrow.

nashledanou (good bye)

2 comments:

  1. Great writing, Sherry! I remember the class I took more than a few years ago and how it was actually scary to share with others. Looking back, it seems that I didn't view my writing as being as good as others, so I didn't want to share it. It turned out to be ok and people genuinely seemed to appreciate it. I think you're writing should be shared not only because of it's quality, but because of the personal tone and feel of the writing. Your experiences are just different enough from others to make it important for everyone to hear. By the way, is there a reason why you are not linking your posts to facebook for us? I still think that there is a "share" button somewhere on your page to link to facebook with one click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Stan. I appreciate the comments. I am excited to share my adventures as well as misadventures here. I don't always remember to hit the share button afterwards. Most times I'm writing them late at night and am falling half asleep. I think once I get home I may start another blog too--but don't know my twist on that one. I gotta watch what I say about school and such.

    ReplyDelete