Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Hall of Fame--A Look Back

I've been competing in wheelchair sports since I was 17 years old. I got started through Craig Hospital. Joe and Sam took one look at my biceps and said I'd be a good shot putter. That seems like only yesterday. I remember my first meet--the Rocky Mountain Wheelchair Games. I competed in track and field using team wheelchairs. They weren't made for me--but I felt like I was flying around that track.

My first love was track--even though I also completed in field events (shot put, discus, and javelin). Track was so much more flashier--and not too much sitting around. I loved the freedom it gave me to glide around the track. When wheelchair divisions were beginning to open in road races--I wanted to try that too. I did my first marathon--the Denver Marathon, to try and qualify for the Boston Marathon. I ended up getting a flat tire--stopped and fixed it and was still able to qualify to race. My first Boston Marathon was in 1982--it was a thrill I would enjoy four more times. I would get to experience the feeling of winning it in 1983 and 1984. I did over 30 marathons in my career. I did some awesome marathons in Switzerland and Japan--but Boston was my all time favorite. The thrill of climbing Heartbreak Hill with thousands of people yelling in your ears--and lieing to you that it is the last hill is unmatched for races.

In the midst of my wheelchair racing career I headed to the University of Illinois to fine tune my wheelchair basketball. I had played with a women's team here in Denver--but we only lasted one year, taking last place at Nationals that year. My friend Marty Morse talked me into leaving my beloved state--but with the prospect of training with the best and getting my master's degree at a top notch school, I went. I played for Brad Hedrick. He was a great motivational coach. He taught me how to really play--while bribing me with Dairy Queen Blizzards to not foul out. (my nickname was Rambo). I got to feel the thrill of victory in 1986 when the U of I Women's team won Nationals. They would win it many times in the following years.

I missed my home state too much so I headed back to Colorado. I would continue to train and travel to races around the country in the pursuit of making a Paralympic Team. I had been on several US teams but dreamt of the ultimate. I made the Paralympic Team to Seoul Korean in 1988. I secured a decent sponsorship (Coors Light) that helped me with equipment and paid my way there. (in the old days--we had to raise our own money to go and represent our country) It was an awesome experience to just be there--but I was able to medal too. I won three silvers, a bronze and a gold--those would be my last medals in wheelchair track.

Once I retired from track and road racing I thought my competitive fires would die--but they didn't so I found a new sport--handcycling. It was in its infancy--the bikes were not too sleek or light at the time. I had a bike that I rode recreationally but decided to give racing a try when they opened up disabled cycling to handcyles. I did my first race with my parking brake on!! That thrill of racing just stoked my competitive fires again. I competed on several United States handcycling Teams. I raced in Germany and France--and made it to my dream place--Australia. In these places I competed in the time trial and road races.

Once I was adept at handcycling I wanted to push myself further. I had always wanted to try to do the Midnight Sun 7 day stage race in Alaska in my racing chair but feared the amount of time spent in a racer. Through all of my sports career I had been prone to pressure sores which more times than I'd like to say--sidelined me. They opened the race up to handcyles and I did the Ride the Rockies Bicycle tour to see if I could handle the distance and the climbs. I made the tour--but not easily. So I signed up for the Midnight Sun. The beauty and grandeur of Alaska was just breath-taking. The race was everything I thought it would be. It tested me as I raced in the heat, and the pouring rain. I got second place in the race, but was able to win one stage that year. I would return to do it five more times--winning it on my fifth try in 2007. I was really proud of that accomplishment--since it is many days of racing and not just one.

Sports have been a fulfilling part of my life. It has taken me around the world and given me confidence. In my career I rarely won first place--but those times that I did win were sweet. I never took winning for granted because it never came easy. Now that I am being inducted into the Wheelchair Sports Hall of Fame--I don't feel like it's an ending. As long as I am able to peddle, push, stroke, hit, or toss I will. Sports will continue to be an important part of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Great essay on your career! Handcycles *still* don't feel sleek or light to me, but they sure are a whole lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you sherry! im glad you are getting recognized for such a great sports career! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete