Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

A Reluctant Hero

Since I was born with my disability--I've always fought the notion of being an "inspiration." I thought, just because I work hard to compete or do something an able bodied person does, I don't feel that's inspirational. I'm just out there like everybody else trying to get to the finish line or enjoying sport for the pure love of it. I guess I felt people were acting (maybe unconsciously) condescending --how could a person without the use of their legs possibly run (roll) a marathon, or pedal a bike over the Rocky Mountains? I like to do the unexpected--not to inspire, but to challenge myself. I found new challenges in each sport I undertook.
First in wheelchair track racing to marathoning, recreational wheelchair basketball to a competitive team, handcycling around the neighborhood to summiting 10,000 ft. passes. I always wanted to try to go further, and faster. If I happened to inspire a few people along the way, then so be it--but it was never my goal. However, my job is a teacher--I work hard to inspire the kids to work hard and do their best. Why shouldn't I do it for others?

I guess the inspiration is in the eye of the inspired. I recently got inducted into the Wheelchair and Ambulatory Sports Hall of Fame. It was a great honor for me--a confirmation of my efforts in the sports arena. I got to go to Las Vegas for the ceremony in which I received a trophy but the greatest honor was what I received from the kids in my classroom and at school.

Our music teacher, Steven Nye, puts on wonderful school programs with lots of singing. We had our "Share your Goodwill" assembly the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. We had just finished our canned food drive and coat drive and always had a big assembly to donate our proceeds to the Christian Action Guild. My class was antsy and wiggly--barely able to contain themselves. They were going to be doing a square dance in the assembly--and it was the last day before our 5 days off break for Thanksgiving. I look forward to this program too as the choir practices a lot for this and Steven puts in a great deal of work to put it on. After enjoying many songs and watching the second graders do their much anticipated square dance--an announcement was made that there was a secret surprise. He called all of the second grade classes up again and the third grade up also. There was a projector that was up front that boldly projected the word HERO. Then I was called up. Tears began to fill my eyes as I couldn't believe what was happening. They also called Ken, my husband out of hiding to come and join me up front. The principal announced to the students and parents about my induction to the Wheelchair Sports Hall of Fame. The group around me began to sing the song Hero (the Mariah Carey song) while a power point was shown of me in my various sports throughout the years. I felt so overwhelmed with love. All of a sudden, it was okay to be an inspiration. I had all of these young children with smiles on their faces--beaming at me with admiration. They were proud of me and what I had done. I was proud of them too. I was most amazed that 21 second graders kept this "secret" for over a month! I had no idea of this surprise. They all kept quiet for his special surprise--and what a wonderful surprise it was.

In all of my years of competition I have collected many medals and trophies--but none are as precious as those kids whom I've taught and had the opportunity to inspire. This is where I will truly leave my legacy. My students will leave me knowing they too can achieve their dreams--if they are willing to work hard and never give up. A hero? That's what they said I was--and who's to argue with the 400 students at my school? Okay, so if I have to be labeled an "inspiration" or "Hero" I'm willing to wear it proudly for students.

3 comments:

  1. Sherry, let me add my voice to the chorus. Not only are the things you have done inspirational in themselves, but what I witnessed in how you responded to the adversities you faced in Prague was your inner strength and incredible grace. These traits were what were, to me, so endearing. Your kids are very, very lucky to know you--as are we all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I'm so happy your kids were able to do this for you, and that you were so gracious in accepting their (well-earned) recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you, Sherry! I think we make too much of a few selected celebrities, when the really important people are those who we see doing good things all around us. Congratulations! I'm glad you were recognized in this way by these people!

    ReplyDelete